Here is this week’s collection of community events, curated by the Equity Team.
1. Celebrate Africa Day! May 16 from 4:00pm–7:00pm at the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation Discovery Center. Free, RSVP requested. http://events.gatesfoundation.org/events/africa-work-stories-that-provide-insight-into-progress-and-impact/event-summary-be6aa8f839234edeade080daa647b912.aspx
2. Brown v. Board Turns Sixty-Five with Integrated Schools. May 16 from 6:00pm–8:30pm at Garfield High School. Free, registration required. https://www.eventbrite.com/e/brown-v-board-turns-65-seattles-school-segregation-story-tickets-60738873606
3. Justin Jesty: Art and Engagement in Early Postwar Japan. May 16 at 6:30pm at Seattle Art Museum. Free. http://seattleartmuseum.org/visit/calendar/events?EventId=65226
4. Loreen Lilyn Lee: The Lava Never Sleeps. May 16 at 7:00pm at Third Place Books Seward Park. Free. https://www.thirdplacebooks.com/event/loreen-lee-lava-never-sleeps
5. Syttende Mai Festivities. May 17 from 10:00am–5:00pm at the Nordic Museum. Free. https://nordicmuseum.org/events/175101
6. Community Iftar Dinner. May 17 from 8:00pm–10:30pm at New Holly Gathering Hall. Free. https://www.facebook.com/events/2131033963651172/
7. Life Wide Angle/Close Up Exhibit Opening Week. May 10–17 at Wing Luke. $17. https://www.wingluke.org/life-wide-angle-close-up
8. Kent International Festival. May 18 from 10:00am–8:00pm at ShoWare Center. Free. https://kentinternationalfestival.com/
9. Literacy Jamboree 2019: You're a STAR. May 18 from 11:00am–2:00pm at Filipino Community of Seattle. Free.
10. A Glimpse of China: Chinese Culture and Arts Festival. May 18 from 11:00am–6:00pm at Seattle Center Armory. Free. http://www.chinaartandculture.org/
11. Northwest Folklife: Balkanarama. May 18 from 6:30pm–8:30pm at Crossroads Market Stage. Free. https://crossroadsbellevue.com/marketstage
12. "But I’m A Good Person—How All White People Benefit From Institutional Racism" with Tilman Smith. May 21 from 5:30pm-7:30pm at Leschi Elementary Library. Free. RSVP required and childcare available upon request. RSVP to Lisa at firstname.lastname@example.org or (206) 676-0023.